Feb 25, 2010

Here's to you, Mom

Today is my mom's birthday.

I think this holiday is interesting because a mother's role is always the caretaker and provider, the one who throws the birthday parties not has them. When this day comes ever year I feel like she doesn't quite understand how much she deserves to be celebrated and always hope I can give her at least a glimpse of this. For me, the reasons to celebrate are endless, because I had a front row seat at how much she has done, particularly for her children.

She raised two children in Santa Barbara by herself. She kept us in a neighborhood far nicer than anything I could hope for because we were close to a good school and lots of kids. She put up with every soccer practice, baseball game, theater production, band practice, play date, and anything in between you could name. She made the best lamb in town for dinner even when it was just the three of us. She was the only person to ever throw me a suprise party (3 to be exact), without giving anything away (I am VERY hard to surprise). She taught me to work hard and allowed me to play hard. She put up with me wanting to celebrate my half birthday (which also is today), as much as she celebrates her real birthday. She still gladly lets me come sleep in her bed as I did for the first 13 years of my life.

I could go on about why she is tremendous and worthy of celebration but really just want to wish you, mom, a VERY Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment