Feb 24, 2010

"Cool Dad"

This clip above (2 separate posts because blogger was malfunctioning) is from one of my favorite TV shoes, Modern Family, that I would recommend checking out. This particular clip is often quoted in my office when someone is confused. "WTF?? Why the face??".


The reason I was reminded of this, is because my dad ended his email to me last night as follows:


LOL,
Dad


I had many thoughts when I read this.

The first one being, when did my dad ever learn "LOL"?? I know some parents are hip and cool with lingo, but my dad (no offense pops) certainly is not. I ran through the options of how he learned 'LOL' and there simply was no explanation.

Secondly, who ends an email Laughing Out Loud? Was he saying, "I am laughing so hard, it must be time to go"? Did I miss a joke (a definite posibility)? Was he going crazy (another possibility)?

This last thought really puzzled me because not only did he end it laughing, but this particular email was fairly serious. So, please, with me, picture my confusion:

"Dear Oa,

Serious paragraph 1

Serious paragraph 2

HAHAHA,

dad"

It didn't make sense on multiple levels. Are you with me?

This is when the "cool dad" on Modern Family popped into my head. He must have a different meaning for 'LOL', he just must. I entertained myself for the next few minutes coming up with options for what he could have possibly meant. Live or Learn? Love or Lose? Lions Opossoms Llamas? None of these fit. So his genius of a daughter (me) finally realized what he was saying:

Lots of Love

Modern Family knows what's up.

**if this irony is not funny to you, I will guess you are over 50. (dad, I was just VERY generous to you:))

1 comment:

  1. Loves this post.

    And Modern Family.

    And you too for that matter.

    ReplyDelete